Saturday, February 20, 2010

Excuses, Excuses

When was the last time you had someone hit you with a whiny excuse? Better yet, when was the last time you offered one up?! Excuses seem so innocent and logical when you need one, yet so hard to swallow when you are on the receiving end! To me, excuses are a sign of guilt. When I have to make an excuse for something I did or didn't do, it's usually because I feel guilty and I have to convince myself (and whoever I am talking to) that there was no way around it. Either that or I wasn't really committed to whatever the expectation was, so I let it slip by and then had to make an excuse to "cover it up".
The fact is there is ALWAYS an opportunity for an excuse! It is very easy to talk ourselves out of commitments when we are tired, busy, or maybe even uncomfortable. Since the majority of us MUST go to work 5 or 6 days out of the week, Sundays are the only day that we can "choose" what we do. I think Sunday must be Satan's busiest day! He has a way of making the sheets feel extra soft, the kids sleep extra late, and can fill our heads with a million excuses of why we should just stay in our beds. But if we choose this route, then Satan wins! And if we continue to choose this route week after week, our faith goes from hot, to lukewarm, to cold. While cold seems like the worst of these, check out what Revelations has to say about being lukewarm...
Revelations
3:15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot.
3:16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of my mouth.

Although He says that He wished we were "cold or hot" He really expects us to be hot! (The only place being "cold" is gonna get us is...in a very HOT place!)
So, we have to stop making excuses, stop letting Satan win, and GET OUR BUTTS TO CHURCH! Not only that, we need to make it a goal to stop having to make excuses in all areas of oour lives. I think we will all feel better about ourselves if we stay true to the commitments we make, in our Christian walk and in our daily, unpredictable lives:)

No comments:

Post a Comment